1. Avoid “Fantastic Morleys” on Endwell Road. It makes out it’s related to South London’s favourite chicken shop “Morley’s” but it definitely isn’t. They even got closed down for a few months for an “uncontrollable” cockroach infestation. Doesn’t seem to have put off the punters mind.
2. Gulen’s on Brockley Road does a fine kebab and is on the way from Brockley station to St Johns. Engage them in conversation about their Ataturk frieze and they’ll treat you like a brother.
3. Doorstop Bakery gently wafts the delightful smell of baking bread across Brockley of an evening. They make a good sandwich too.
4. Brockley is now all kinds of gentrified so it has a couple of upmarket delis that are worth checking out.
5. For some nice (slightly pricy) food and a good beer the Orchard on Harefield Road is a good shout. Gantry is meant to be nice too but I haven’t actually been.
6. For a takeaway curry “Panas Gurka” is the only way to go for some Nepalese goodness.
7. The dentist in New Cross is a bit ropey. A friend signed up for one that’s just opened in Honour Oak Park which he rated and which would be worth looking up.
8. Ziman (dentists in Crofton Park) are actually very good.
9. The Wickham Arms on the top of the hill on Upper Brockley Road looks like it might be a nice pub. It’s not (unless it’s been done up in the last year or so).
10. If you have a craving for late night confectionary you can always pop into Dukes “Night Store” on Brockley Cross.
11. Don’t find yourself on top of Telegraph Hill in the middle of the night when there’s a pea-souper fog. You will get lost.
12. It’s probably worthwhile getting a bike since it’s a bit spread out for taking the bus/walking. Also all those hills mean you get some exercise without needing to travel very far.
13. There’s a very good butcher’s in Ewhurst Road (Crofton Park).
14. The Brockley Jack has very nice toilets and is reassuringly safe these days, nearly all the time.
15. Less of an issue if you have a landlord/flatmates, but Terry’s (the locksmith next to Crofton Park station) have an emergency service and will come and rescue you, for a price.
16. Worthwhile registering with a doctor while you’re not too busy–the shiny new health centre in Deptford might be your best bet.
17. Some useful info about various subjects on Brockley Central.
18. Deptford is covered by The Deptford Dame